In a manga or graphic novel, the art is at least as important to me as the story in determining how much I like it. If a graphic novel has a great story but the art is hideous, I'm probably not going to like it; conversely, if the story is lame but the art is good, I'll usually finish reading it just for the art.
The art in this is great, as is the story.
I don't really have much to say about the plot, because it's just the plot of The Count of Monte Cristo. They stayed very true to it, and it's honestly pretty incredible how well they managed to condense such an absolute brick of a book into this manga.
(Side note: I love how dramatic men's formal wear can look, especially the 1800s-era-ish kind. This manga makes good use of it.)
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for murder and the like, as well as some delicately handled plot points involving illegitimate children.
4 stars.
(Endnote: At one point, the Count says that he's going to return someone's glove "wrapped around a bullet" [i.e. he's going to shoot him]. |The duel ends up not happening|, so I think it would be funny if |some time later he wrapped the glove around a bullet and gave it back to its original owner|.)

No comments:
Post a Comment