Tuesday, June 3, 2025

"The Invisible Man" by H. G. Wells

Ah yes, ye (actually þe) olde 19th-century technobabble. (There was some in The Time Machine too, but that one was prescient enough to sound fairly like 21st-century technobabble.)

And about the Invisible Man himself (it's always capitalized): I'm not sure whether he's a psychopath or just evil. Or possibly both. He definitely meets the criteria for psychopathy (egotism, lack of remorse and empathy, etc).

In his early experiments, he also made an invisible cat. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. As far as I know, it never actually shows up in the story aside from him mentioning it offhand, but it's fun to imagine its invisible presence at work in the narrative. (For instance, what if all the times where people trip over nothing--and it's implied to be the Invisible Man tripping them--are actually people tripping over the Invisible Cat?)

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for violence.

3 stars. It's much less evolutiony than The Time Machine, but Invisibleguy annoyed me.

(Endnote: When I was younger, I got this book confused with Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. They are not the same book, and that one sounds rather less interesting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment