This is a retelling of Oliver Twist, except not every side character is a total jerk. It's also mixed with some Robin Hood, which may explain that.
Basically, some kid's parents are murdered by some bandits. He gets picked up by a bunch of Totally Not Robin Hood's Merry Men, with whom he lives for a while until Totally Not Robin Hood gets sick--sorry, becomes ill. So Some Kid (whose name is Olifur) goes to the city to earn enough money to get a doctor to look at Totally Not Robin Hood (whose name is actually Fritjof).
Olifur gets a job cleaning magic trains, randomly stumbles into Totally Bill Fagin/Sikes (whose name is Bale), and gets |strongarmed into helping Bale with a battery heist|. Because the trains run on magic batteries, apparently. (Everyone insists the magic batteries aren't actually magic, but most things in pseudo-fantasy books that "aren't actually magic" are totally magic and you just don't want to call it that. I'm looking at you, Keeper of the Lost Cities.)
[Edit: I have been informed that Bill Sikes is a separate person from Fagin. However, in my opinion, Bale is both of them, hence why I just added "/Sikes" onto "Totally Bill Fagin".]
And then it turns out Bale |is one of the bandits who murdered Olifur's parents. And then he stabs his girlfriend so she'll stop trying to stop his battery heist. And then the cops show up|.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for criiiiiiiiiiime and jerkfaces.
(Endnote: Yes, I know that Oliver Twist also has a couple of side characters who aren't total jerks. But there's only like two of them.)
I liked your comparison to Oliver Twist! Good job! _
ReplyDelete- Grammy
Thank you!
Delete