Monday, March 27, 2023

"Holes" by Louis Sachar

I still maintain this would not be a good book to have someone read aloud to you. 

That said, however, it's definitely not bad. I just didn't enjoy it much. Part of that was due to the fact that I'd been expecting the treasure the Warden's after to be, y'know, something cool. Alien robots or a train or whatnot. And then we had a !DRAMATIC REVEAL! of it being... |a suitcase full of gems and legal papers|. It makes sense within the story, but I was still disappointed.
 
Pretty much everyone knows what Holes is about, so I'm not going to bother doing a plot synopsis. I also don't have much to say about it. Short review here.
 
Thus, this gets 3 stars from me. Intellectually, I know it isn't that bad; however, I didn't really like it.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for mild violence, child abuse, and jerkfaces. 

Favorite lines: 
    Mr. Sir (yes, that is his name) has this thing about constantly reminding everyone that Camp Green Lake is, and I quote, "not a Girl Scout camp." This leads to a particularly funny line at the end:
    "In a few years, Camp Green Lake will become a Girl Scout camp."

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree with your opinion of this book. I remember when it first came out, and all of the teachers in my school went gaga over it so I read it. But I wasn't really all that impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember enjoying this, though it's been close onto 20 years since I read it, and I mostly just remember that there were nods to The Great Escape in it that delighted me. If you don't see those, then maybe it loses its charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having never watched The Great Escape... probably?

      Delete